Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Totally Caught Off Guard

My husband came home today right as I was fixing dinner for the family and the four kids that were to be here through dinner time. Of course I was expecting him to come in about then. Nothing out of the ordinary there what so ever. My son was already home and saying his usual "mom, what's for dinner". Again totally expected. It's that time of the day.

We, as you might imagine, are in the middle of packing for the trip. Lots of little things to ensure gets done. Go, go, go and do, do, do. O.k., that is also to be expected. "Honey, when is the dog being picked up? Dear, do you know how late the hotel rooms will be held? Did you water the plants? What time are you done working tomorrow? Did you pack your toothbrush?...." I am quite sure you get the picture of what has been going on around here.

Add to that the 11 daycare kids and the dachshund along with all that goes with that...Whew, I need a vacation. Soon. Very soon.

So, why was I caught off guard??? Well, when my husband came in he hugged me and said he had bad news. UT OH....BAD NEWS???? 2 days before our vacation?? Not cool.... You can tell what I was thinking, huh? Vacation canceled, right?

In comparison to what the news actually was, I feel totally selfish in my immediate thought processes. My husband broke the news as gently as possible. You see, I don't connect very easily with people, but I care very deeply for those I get to know. A woman I would be honored to consider a friend has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer that has metastasized to other areas of her body - prognosis is not good. She is beautiful, vivacious, bubbly, smiling, and giving. Unfortunately she may not be long for our world.

I feel so totally off guard not only by the news but to my reaction to it. G...Pull through please! Thoughts and prayers. Love and concern... So Sorry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment