Sunday, June 14, 2009

I'm picking up what you're putting down

This should have been yesterday's post, but I was toooooo pooped to pop as Lucy might say. Maybe you will get a double post....You think 2 in one day???? HMMMM, can ya handle it????? Or better yet, Do you think I can handle it??

That being said, on with the post!

That's right, you heard me. I'm picking up what you're putting down. One of the things I wanted to do while I was here in San Pedro is to take part in the Beach Clean UP Campaign. So, I guess I wanted to pick up "OPT" (Other people's trash).

Here's the deal, I arrived on the island Friday night. By Saturday morning 8 a.m. I was down at the central park to join in on the beach clean up. This was a campaign organized by YWAM (Youth With A Mission) and Mercy Ships International. They are two wonderful christian organizations that do lots of missions around the world. What a blast we had. Must have been about 60 people taking part in the clean up. There were 6 different teams that went to different areas of the beach and picked up the garbage that had either washed up on shore or blown from peoples trash containers or were just plain littered. YUCK!

I was part of a team of only 4 people Christen, Nick, Bri and myself. We were a small but mighty group. We ended up collecting 11 bags, I'm talking giant double thick industrial strength bags of trash. All that between 8:30 and 11 a.m. By 11 a.m. I had to inform my tiny group that I would not be able to continue on as I had other commitments quickly encroaching on my time with them. I have to say I had an absolute blast with these people and will certainly remember them for quite some time.

Thank you YWAM and Mercy Ships for your willingness to serve in this beautiful community.

I'm trying to upload photo's but....Not going soooo well. Been waiting more than 20 minutes for 5 photos to upload, and still not going. Maybe later - previous post, hehe. I truly will get some photo's on here at some point
Everyone arriving at the park
Listen up here are your assignments
What a great group - Thanks YWAM
The birds appreciate it
People appreciate it
beach front businesses appreciate it


No comments:

Post a Comment